Here are a few simple steps to learning from experience – any experience at all.
Reflect on these questions while day dreaming, writing, drawing, painting, or creating something, even cooking.
- What happened? Describe it.
- How did you feel? What was your inner reaction?
- What thoughts went through your mind during, and not long after?
- How do you feel now about the experience?
- What questions or unresolved issues remain, if any?
Some clients use this format for writing an email to a therapist. It gives them a more clear focus. They end up learning heaps from the exercise, and then they get helpful feedback from their counsellor or spiritual director.