Welcome to our website. You can read about my professional qualifications and experience below. Personally speaking, growing in compassion is where it is at for me…
It is so great to be doing this work with people who inspire us every day with your abilities and capacities to grow, heal, change, and to live your dreams with courage.
Dr Joseph Randolph Bowers’ formal qualifications include a PhD Psychotherapy, MEd Psychotherapy, Graduate Certificate Higher Education, Certified Practitioner Neuro-Linguistic Psychotherapy, Bachelor of Arts Spirituality and Philosophy with Distinction, Honorary of the Australian Counselling Association, Associate Scholar of the Centre for World Indigenous Studies USA.
With ATS Pty Ltd Dr Bowers is a Senior Clinical Behaviour Specialist Counsellor Psychotherapist.
Dr Bowers is the co-founder of Australia’s first online open access international Counselling research journal (www.acrjournal.com.au, formerly Counselling, Psychotherapy and Health Journal). Dr Bowers is among the founding members of the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia. Dr Bowers was in past tasked with writing standards for counselling practice and training in Australia, has contributed to the development of ethical frameworks, and has maintained a voice in advancing standards of treatment for GLBTI2S and Aboriginal communities. His doctoral research advanced the training and practice for counselling with minority populations along with knowledge of the mechanisms of prejudice and homophobia within therapy and in social relationships.
Dr Bowers is a long time Associate Scholar with the Centre for World Indigenous Studies (USA), an Invited Special Collection Scholar with the Mi’kmaq Resource Centre Cape Breton University (Canada), and the Tepi’ketuek Mi’kmaw Archives (Canada).
Dr Bowers is an Honorary of the Australian Counselling Association and a member of Spiritual Directors International.
Joseph Randolph is an author of over 200 works, including The Practice of Counselling which is the first comprehensive counselling text book in Australasia; On the Threshold: Personal Transformation and Spiritual Awakening; Sacred Teachings from the Medicine Lodge; and Mi’kmaq Puoinaq Two Spirit Medicine with contribution from the acclaimed author and historian Mi’kmaq Elder Dr Daniel N. Paul. Also, Solitude Awakens: The Heart Forest Mountain Way; and The Mass of Creation among others. Go to our Books Page for more information and links to buy books from an online retailer.
In Counselling Psychotherapy
Dr Bowers expertise includes working with trauma, traumatic memories, loss and grief, phobias, intense emotional reactions, stress and anxiety, pain management, asthma, and other chronic conditions that can be assisted with psychotherapy including with Ericksonian Hypnotherapy and Neuro-Linguistic Psychotherapy.
As an Educational Specialist Dr Bowers has trained Counselling Psychotherapists for over twenty years in the higher education sector and workplace training environments. As a Senior Clinical Supervisor Dr Bowers supports individual practitioners and groups of therapists in both peer and direct supervision models.
As a Senior Behaviour Support Specialist in (Dis)Ability and Mental Health Dr Bowers supports people in everyday concerns and with complex issues. Services include:
- Assessment and Support Planning
- Behaviour Support Plans
- Incident Prevention and Response Plans
- Case Review and Quality Assessment
- Review for Maintaining Support Systems
- Capacity Building and Skills Development
As a Specialist in Human Development, Relationships, Couples, and Family, Sexuality and Gender, Dr Bowers has
- Worked with all types of couples and families across a wide range of issues across the spectrum of early, middle, and late relationship concerns
- Assisted individuals and couples addressing issues in sex, sexuality, and intimacy
- Helped men in dealing with emotional intelligence issues and gaining communication and empathic skills, and in dealing with anger, aggression, and stress management
- Worked with women in recovery from domestic, family, and relationship violence and abuse with emphasis on trauma recovery, healing, and empowerment
- Counselling support for dealing with sexually transmitted diseases, HIV/AIDS, and within the context of relationships,
- Supported GLBTI2S people in building positive identity, resilience, and empowerment including with sexuality and gender identity,
- Supported GLBTI couples, relationships, and families, and
- Assisted in counselling support among people who identify with transgender and transsexual experiences
As a Trauma Specialist, Dr Bowers has
- Helped in recovery among war veterans,
- Assisted women recovering from family violence and relationship abuse and trauma,
- Supported GLBTI2S people in dealing with homophobia, family rejection, church and community rejection and abuse, and related social pressures,
- Worked with individuals with disabilities and mental health issues, their families and carers, in developing safe spaces and recovery oriented approaches
- Developed methods for trauma informed and creative arts therapies with people with Intellectual Disabilities and Autism
- Engaged with individuals recovering from systemic/organisational and church based abuse and trauma associated with childhood sexual abuse and/or gender based discrimination
- Worked with men in recovery from identity and anger issues, men who are returning from war and working through post-conflict situations, among men facing sexuality and identity concerns, and with men who are in search of their inner fire and needing to connect with emotion and to grow in emotional intelligence
As a Lecturer and Scholar, since the 1990s, Dr Bowers has served in Senior Lecturer leadership roles with the University of New England, Charles Sturt University, University of the Sunshine Coast, all in Australia, and Assistant Professor leadership roles with Cape Breton University in Canada. From 2008 to 2018, Dr Bowers assisted as an Adjunct Senior Lecturer in the School of Humanities in Indigenous Studies at the University of New England in Australia.
Working as a senior teacher and trainer in the academe was awesome, and it is even more exciting now to teach again with Ability Academe Australia. The dream is lifelong to share learning in a direct and practical application that fits people’s lives, is accessible, and flexible. To match this learning to therapy with positive outcomes like skill building, capability mastery, and goal achievement is just incredible and so worthwhile. We are part of the new and emerging global capability academy arising from the professional sector and driven by non-accredited flexibility and the cost effective needs of real life.Dr Joseph Randolph Bowers
The ATS Story
Tracing the story of ATS Pty Ltd, from 2015, Dr Bowers worked toward establishing an independent clinical practice in Armidale and the New England region of NSW. During 2018, the company Ability Therapy Specialists Pty Ltd was created. During 2018, the company underwent the first external quality audit, and during 2019, ATS Pty Ltd received renewed NDIS Certification and Registration. During 2020, we founded Ability Academe Australia as a course offering and training arm of our work that trades under the company.