Here you will find information, FAQs.
See bottom of page for contact, and new consent form.
Frequently Asked Questions General (Below see FAQs NDIS)
- You do counselling? Yes. See pages on Counselling and other services we offer.
- Do you do Life Coaching? Yes. We offer Life Coaching.
- How can I find the pages of your site? Pages are different from posts. Pages remain the same and are listed in the header of the site. Find the pages by going to the many line symbol in upper corner of your window. Click on that. You will see pages listed. On desktop systems the pages appear listed under the top image. On mobile, click the lines. Tablet view depends on each device and how you have it positioned top or sideways (as far as we can tell).
- Is there an age limit? Not really. We tend to see people from childhood through to senior years. Early childhood is generally a time when we work with parents to assist with their children’s growth and development.
- Where are you located? Armidale, New England, NSW Australia.
- What is your geographic area? We consult locally and regionally where funding allows. As a specialist service we assist people and organisations west to Lightning Ridge or further, east to Coffs Harbour, north to Tenterfield or further, and south to Scone or further. We provide preference in service for regional and remote Australian contexts.
- Do you see clients from across Australia? Yes. We have consulted in Sydney, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, and as far away as Broome… Wherever people make contact and wish to collaborate.
- Who travels to see you in Armidale? Anyone who wishes to visit.
- Can we travel from across Australia to see you? Yes, we have had clients come from north Queensland, Victoria, and other places. For this purpose we support “Friday-to-Monday” therapy intensives or retreats, i.e. individuals or couples book in for 2 to 4 days likely over a weekend, with however many sessions each day. Plus people like to enjoy local food and culture, see tourist attractions, and/or go bush walking in our beautiful national parks. People book into one of many of our local B&Bs, motels, or caravan parks as they choose. People tend to fly in or drive.
- Who sees you via distance technologies? Anyone who wishes to use Skype or Facetime or email, or other system.
- Do you do couple and marriage counselling? Yes. See the page on couple and family therapy.
- Do you do hypnotherapy? Yes. We offer Ericksonian Hypnotherapy. You may like to watch our Ask A Therapist Episode 5 What is Hypnotherapy and How Does it Work? To find the video, do a search in the search options on this site. Or go to our YouTube Channel by doing a Google search.
- Do you see GLBTIQ2S Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, and Two Spirit people? Yes we provide an inclusive and supportive practice.
- Do you do GLBTIQ2S couple and family therapy? Yes we provide an inclusive and supportive practice.
- Do you do home visits? Yes in the Armidale area and surrounds with easy access.
- Do you do home visits in Tamworth or Inverell? Yes we may visit Tamworth, Inverell, Moree, and Glen Innes.
- Do you do clinics in regional centres? Upon request and hosted by a local organisation we are open to doing day clinics.
FAQs for NDIS Funded Behaviour Support and Counselling
- How long does behaviour support take? Generally between 10 to 20 hours.
- How much do you charge/how much will this cost? We use the NDIS suggested fee schedule per hour.
- Do you provide a Service Agreement? Yes we are required to provide a Service Agreement based on NDIS standards.
- What are your qualifications? Please the page for each individual practitioner.
- Are you an independent service? Yes we are a senior professional service in private practice. Generally speaking a senior independent practice may provide greater objectivity, expertise, specialisations, as well as in depth and timely analysis. As the disability sector professionalises people seek independent clinical support to address service system issues, build capacity, problem solve around shortfalls in services, and to provide greater objectivity than traditional “in-house” clinical services may provide.
- What is a Behaviour Support Plan – BSP? A BSP is a practical “road map” to help support the person at the centre. Also family or staff find the plan useful. Behaviour support is based on understanding underlying needs and supporting people in positive and safe ways.
- How long is a behaviour support plan? Nowadays generally 4 to 6 pages.
- How long is a behaviour assessment report? Generally 3-4 pages.
- What is a functional assessment of behaviour? Conducted as part of clinical assessment this looks at how, what, when, where, how much, and how often. From this process we create a picture of functioning to guide understanding of behaviours and options for intervention.
- Why bother with behaviour support assessment? Assessment provides understanding of motivations, drivers, contexts, and relationships that support behaviours. All behaviour is contextual and ecological. When we know better how behaviour works, we know better how to support people more effectively.
- Do we need to get our doctor to fill in the Referral form? No. Self-referral is sufficient in most cases.
- Who fills in the paperwork when clients have a guardian and no family to help? We can assist or people can find someone to help. NDIS Local Area Coordinators and Support Coordinators are doing some of this work.
- We find the paperwork challenging – can we get help? Yes of course.
- Where will I find letters, clinical assessments, and case history materials? Good question. We can discuss this when we meet. Generally parents of children can keep a file for each child on hand. When your child has special needs, the file gets thick fairly quickly. If you do not have these documents, you can ask your doctor or specialists for copies.
- Can we get copies of a report you wrote for us? Yes of course. We give our plans, reports, or letters to clients directly to keep. Please let us know and we will provide another copy. We keep files for the minimum years required and then files are destroyed.
Ability Therapy Specialists Contact
- E. Please use form below to get things started
- P. 61 468 863 740
- W. http://www.abilitytherapyspecialists.com.au
- FB. http://www.facebook.com/abilitytherapyspecialists
- PO Box 4065 Armidale NSW 2350
- By appointment only
Consent to our Disclosure, Terms and Conditions is necessary for service provision. Thank you.
We are open to referrals. Please let your friends, family, and networks know. Thank you for your support and kindness. We very much appreciate your assistance. We look forward to meeting you.
Below please find are our new Consent Form. This is all you will need to get things started. Thank you.
ATS-Consent-24-9-17 (word doc)
Page last update 24-9-17