Ability Therapy Specialists Pty Ltd
Provides a wide range of services to privately paying clients.
- Individual counselling or psychotherapy
- Couple counselling
- Hypnotherapy for a wide range of issues
- Personal growth work
- Life coaching
- Spirituality and spiritual growth
- Identity issues and life stage transitions
- Grief and loss counselling
- Stress management and relief
- Anxiety management and relief
- Creative-arts therapies, dream-work, sandtray and symbol work
- Career and vocational counselling
- Skill and capacity building in social relationships
- Counselling to prepare for finding and keeping a job
- Meditation, conflict resolution, and peace-making
- Healing from past hurts
- Post-trauma recovery and healing
- Hearing Loss Support (see below for more information)
Psychotherapy and Counselling
Counselling traditionally relates to listening and sharing your story in a therapeutic relationship.
Psychotherapy can involve strategies for change.
Both methods work best together but ironically most therapists do one or the other. At Ability Therapy Specialists we combine expertise in both, and integrate methods into a seamless best practice approach.
- We are Rogerian and Person Centred
- And yet we are strategic and psychodynamic
- We use advanced and proven therapeutic change methods and healing strategies
- And yet we are sensitive to each person’s unique situation and we listen to your hopes and dreams
Change in psychotherapy
Can address many issues such as:
- chronic fears,
- pain management,
- mind-body healing,
- healing from trauma and past hurts,
- dynamic goal setting,
- relational change and development, as well as
- low self esteem,
- chronic illness,
- mental health,
- and many other issues
Counselling Psychotherapy can either be brief solution focused, or can be longer term over months or years. Many people make therapy a major investment in ongoing wellbeing by visiting a therapist monthly or bi-monthly once they have established a strong foundation through more regular sessions. But most of our clients resolve issues within therapy fairly quickly. We are always working ourselves out of a job because our primary goal is to help you to gain capacity to grow, change, and resolve your own issues now and in future.
Counselling for Hearing Loss
This is a specialist area we offer by request of people in our region, given that no such services exist in the community. We are not audiologists. We are Counsellors and Psychotherapists. So our work with hearing loss helps clients with the psychological, emotional, social, and spiritual experiences of dealing with hearing loss.
- Hearing loss can be insidious. People can have major hearing loss without realising this for years.
- Loss of hearing can exist in certain frequencies, and effect people in quite different ways.
- Various levels of hearing and deafness create unique challenges in communication, and effect relationships, intimacy, and family life in many ways that are often not discussed openly.
- These additional social layers create challenges for spouses and family when living with someone with hearing loss.
But the good news is that all these and more issues can be addressed in sensitive and helpful ways. Research shows that strong audiology support combined with therapeutic counselling and psychotherapy increase patient resilience and satisfaction with their chosen path of intervention.
- Dealing with testing, hearing aids trials, getting used to aids, surgery, chronic issues that cause discomfort, and hearing loss associated with aging are all extremely challenging.
Many studies show that hearing loss counselling is a key factor in easing the adjustment challenges. However, counselling is no substitute for expert medical and audiology assessment. But as an adjunct to audiology, specialist counselling therapy is highly regarded.